Skip to ExploreVA Navigation Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Intent to File Process

Need More Time Before Filing?

If you need additional time to file a claim for disability compensation, pension, or survivors’ benefits and wish to preserve a date of claim while you gather evidence and complete the application, you should use one of four methods to communicate an intent to file a claim to VA:

  1. Appointing a Veterans Service Organization (VSO) or state or county representative to help initiate an intent to file a claim electronically via the Stakeholder Enterprise Portal (SEP). VSOs and representatives can also assist you throughout the claims process. VSOs can access SEP via the button below.


  2. Starting the claims process online. This is the fastest and easiest way to express intent to file a claim. Simply begin the online application process, and your intent is documented once you select “save.” Access eBenefits via the button below:


  3. Completing and mailing VA Form 21-0966, Intent to File a Claim for Compensation and/or Pension, or Survivors Pension and/or DIC .

    Download now

  4. Over the phone with a VA call center representative or in person with a VA public contact representative.

    Contact Us


Don’t Miss Out on VA Benefits

Answer some questions and find out if you may be eligible.