Skip to ExploreVA Navigation Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

VA Assistance to Veterans Who Are Severely Disabled

Adapted Home Benefits

Veterans with certain service-connected disabilities may apply for grants to build an adapted home or install ramps, widen doors, or make other modifications to live more independently.

All grants have maximum amounts set by Congress and are indexed to construction costs. VA administers three grants that accommodate Veterans’ unique housing needs:

  • Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grants are generally used to create wheelchair accessible homes. In FY 2017, the maximum amount is $81,080.
  • Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) grants are generally used to enhance Veterans’ mobility throughout their homes. In FY 2017, the maximum amount is $16,217.
  • Temporary Residence Adaptation (TRA) grants are for eligible Veterans and Servicemembers who are temporarily residing in a home owned by a family member that needs modifications to accommodate the Veteran’s or Servicemember’s needs. In FY 2017, the maximum TRA grant is $35,593 for SAH-eligible Veterans and Servicemembers, and $6,355 for SAH-eligible Veterans and Servicemembers.

Explore the Special Housing Adaptation infographic to learn more about these benefits.

Vehicle Allowances

Under certain circumstances, Veterans may be eligible for financial assistance toward the purchase of an automobile and/or vehicle adaptive equipment (e.g., wheelchair lift). Adaptive equipment covers items that assist in getting in and out of vehicles and other medically necessary equipment such as power steering, brakes, windows, and seats.

To qualify, beneficiaries must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • Automobile grants – For active duty Servicemembers or Veterans who have loss, or permanent loss of use, of one or both hands or feet, or permanent vision impairment, or severe burn injuries that limit motion and preclude effective operation of an automobile and for whom these disabilities are rated or treated as service-connected.
  • Adaptive equipment – For active duty Servicemembers or Veterans who meet the above disability requirements or who have immobility of the joint of one or both knees or hips and for whom these disabilities are rated or treated as service-connected.

To apply, complete VA Form 21-4502 (Application for Automobile or Other Conveyance and Adaptive Equipment) and mail or drop it off at the nearest regional office or apply with the assistance of an accredited Veterans Service Organization representative. If applying only for adaptive equipment, complete VA Form 10-1394 (Application for Adaptive Equipment – Motor Vehicle) and submit it to the nearest VA medical center.

How to Apply for VA Home Loans and Housing-Related Assistance:


Don’t Miss Out on VA Benefits

Answer some questions and find out if you may be eligible.